Cobra Scenario Paintball Team Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Paintball Forums (Public) > PAINTBALL EQUIPMENT AND MAINTENANCE
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

X7 Phenom Review

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
COBRA
COBRA
Casual observer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GRINDER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X7 Phenom Review
    Posted: 06 Dec 2009 at 5:49pm

I just got the new X7 Phenom from Woodsballgear.com at a great price, I might add. It's number 455! So far 1500 have been made. I couldn't wait to throw this bad-boy together. Hunkered down in my camper at Tactical Paintball, 20 degrees and snowing, I opened up the box. Upon initial inspection, the marker is noticeably smaller than the original X7. It's also mostly aluminum. It feels very solid. I slapped the front rail (which took a bit of coaxing) and the mag and put a battery in the E-Grip. At first, I thought the E-Grip was broken. It doesn't make the same clicking noises as the original E-Grip. But that's as designed. The one super-cool thing about the E-Grip is that you don't have to turn it on with a tool. You just slide the firing mode selector to the top and it's on.

I then proceeded to hook it up with air and loaded a hopper-full of Marbalizer paint and started firing away. The marker is pretty quiet, especially for a Tippmann. With my 12" Stiffi barrel, it's incredibly quiet. It's also lighter. Of course, I don't have any mods on it. Right out of the box, it shot at 270, 275, 271 fps. Impressive. It's certainly built different than it's predecessor. The cyclone is improved and the air hose snaps in without screws. It felt weird not to have a cocking handle, but this is a very good thing. It also pretty darn fast. In full auto or auto-response mode this thing was throwing ropes. Not my typical shooting style, but it's good to know I can easily lay down paint if needed.

Once the scenario game started, I put the marker to the test. The marker is extremely accurate and has no kick. I was taking out players left and right. Most hits were with just two shots. The shots were straighter and more accurate and enabled me to make more kills through heavy brush. Although my modded X7 is realtively accurate, the Phenom was even more accurate. I also had zero paint chops the entire day while others had paint chop problems throughout the cold day. The other impressive thing was how little air it used. At 300 psi (or less), I had plenty of air left after blowing 7 pods of paint. This is a very welcomed improvement. Here are some key things that I personally love about this marker:

1) Accurate
2) Solid feel
3) Quiet
4) Consistent
5) E-Grip turns on with tool
6) Operates at around 300 psi
7) Metal trigger
8) Eaiser to field strip and maintain
9) No more cocking handle
10) E-Grip works without a battery (mechanical mode)

I could not find anything negative about this marker. Overall, this marker is an AWESOME addition to the Tippmann aresenal and a big step up for the X7. I highly recommend this marker to anyone who likes the milsim style markers.

Grinder

Edited by GRINDER - 08 Jan 2010 at 10:12pm
Greyskull View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
"MILKSHAKE"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyskull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2009 at 8:30am
Sounds awesome!  Very good review.
   When you pray to the PAINTBALL GODS, Know this... I do listen!

Veritas + Aequitas
signpimp View Drop Down
COBRA
COBRA
"LUNCHMEAT"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote signpimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2009 at 4:27pm
Sounds like a great marker.  Thanks for the great review Grinder!
"Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there." --Will Rogers
Alpha {MWB} View Drop Down
Sergeant++
Sergeant++

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alpha {MWB} Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2009 at 12:05am
Good stuff bro, glad you are happy with it
Alf
Alpha
Taylor
     But most of all....
            DADDY
Joker View Drop Down
COBRA
COBRA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2009 at 6:42am
here is my experience with the X7 Phenom:

When the marker was working properly, it was stellar. I had problems all day with the paint though. Here is the scenario from this last weekend:

Tactical Smack down at Harwood Texas over the weekend. ‘We Were Soldiers’ was the theme for the game weekend.

It was snowing this last weekend in Houston and the cold never seemed to quit. Not really a wet weekend, but we woke up to 27 degree weather with clear skies.

The paint was marbelizer with yellow fill.

The g*n chrono was without issue.  The side adjustment is way too cool. No tool? Well, just grab a sturdy piece of something that will fit in the hole and move the adjuster!  J

The shooting FPS was pretty consistent with the newer paint. I had some mixed older paint that was not good for a chrono test. That resulted in 278, 250, 218, 280 FPS swings. The newer paint was more reliable with a variance of ~10 FPS.

The holes on the bottom of the picatiny<sp> railing is welcomed for strapping the marker to my vest. I was able to loop a strap under the rail and used a quick link to hook it up to my vest.

I put on the MP5SD shroud and silencer extension with a CP 16” barrel. I did not get the UM36 stock before I left so I brought the air-through stock for use in the game. With the stock, MP5 shroud and 16” barrel, it was a sweet looking machine!

I really liked how quiet the g*n was shooting. It was significantly quieter than my other Tippmann markers. It was also a pleasure not having the hammer kick like they used to. That was an awesome new feature!

Once I got out on the field, I got a few rounds off without issue. I was chrono’d at 278-280 FPS. At 30 yards, I had a 4-8” pattern that impressed those watching me fire the marker. The problem came when I went into the game and in the heat of battle. The g*n started chopping paint. I know it wasn’t just the g*n because a lot of people were chopping paint. Remember, I said it was 27 degrees at wake-up.

After about 10 minutes of that I decided to go back to camp and remove the longer barrel and shroud. I put on the stock barrel, which remained on throughout the day, and had better results somewhat. I still chopped paint and decided that it might be too cold for the barrel to shoot this paint. When I pulled the stock barrel back off the clean the paint, it was slightly  iced over due to the condensation. I placed a hand warmer inside the shroud which seemed to help somewhat. It was the smaller packet and seemed to fit right in the shroud bottom. It was almost as if the shroud was made for it. It warmed up to around 47 and for the rest of the day, I had good shooting. The marker was very accurate. I was able to keep consistent targeting with each pull of the trigger.  I had the trigger set for the bi-directional pull.

The air efficiency was wonderful! I only went to the air station twice that day. I had a 90ci Ninja 4500 tank. They only had 3k in the fill tanks, so that is the reason I had to go twice. They couldn’t fill the tanks to the proper capacity.

I would have had a much better weekend if those I shot would have had some honor and went out when I tagged them. They kept going behind cover and came back shooting. I just kept lighting them up. I was able to hit the mark within the first or second shot throughout the day with great consistency.

I did have an issue with balls chopping in the cyclone feed. I thought I saw somewhere where the paddles were supposed to be softer. The paddles on the phenoms are just as hard as the stock cyclone paddles. The cyclone couldn’t either keep up with the rate of fire, or the paddles were too hard for the paint being used.

The tear down and clean up was too easy! Within a minute, I had the marker apart for cleaning. This was one of the greatest features I love about this marker!!

Overall, I am very excited to own the marker. 

Before you criticize someone you should walk a mile in their shoes. You will be 1 mile away and you will have their shoes

GRINDER View Drop Down
COBRA
COBRA
Casual observer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GRINDER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2009 at 8:27am

I had the same marker and the same paint. I didn't chop a single ball. So not sure why you experienced issues and I didn't.

Joker View Drop Down
COBRA
COBRA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2009 at 9:14am
What was your trigger programmed for and what FPS were you chrono'd for most of the day?

Might be shooting style too.

Edited by Joker - 08 Dec 2009 at 9:14am
Before you criticize someone you should walk a mile in their shoes. You will be 1 mile away and you will have their shoes

GRINDER View Drop Down
COBRA
COBRA
Casual observer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GRINDER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2009 at 9:16am

280 FPS and 1 shot for pull and 1 shot for release.

Joker View Drop Down
COBRA
COBRA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2009 at 9:20am
That is what I had most of the day.

Duiring the late morning and early afternoon, my marker was shooting fine. I am blaming the paint predominantly, but had a few break in the cyclone too.

Wamba View Drop Down
Command Sergeant
Command Sergeant
No way, get real...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wamba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2009 at 9:35am
I had several HUNDRED breaks in my cyclone, even WITH the new squishies in the regular X7.  The flatline was chopping it up all day too.  That paint is so thin-coated that a little cold weather = a lot of problems.  However I shot about 2.5 hoppers during the night play with Grinder's Phenom, and I checked the barrel when I got on the bus after they called it, with NO chops.
GRINDER View Drop Down
COBRA
COBRA
Casual observer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GRINDER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2009 at 9:41am

Yeah Joker. Thanks for trumping my review and making me look like an a$$. (just kidding) LOL

Joker View Drop Down
COBRA
COBRA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2009 at 9:46am
You should have put - Grinder's X7 Phenom review

Actually, I sent my report to Tippmann engineering as well. I may have gotten a bad apple from the barrel.

In all fairness, you did not have any mods on yours other than the barrel. I think the stock barrel and hand warmer was what helped me during the day.

I think I may make a barrel insulator.

GRINDER View Drop Down
COBRA
COBRA
Casual observer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GRINDER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2009 at 9:51am
Dude, I am messing with you. The more reviews the better.
Joker View Drop Down
COBRA
COBRA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2009 at 10:17am
I know, I forgot the emoticon...

CENSORED

LOL!

Edited by Joker - 08 Dec 2009 at 10:17am

Greyskull View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
"MILKSHAKE"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyskull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2009 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by Joker Joker wrote:

Ohh is that what we are calling those to get around the ATF these days...  I need to insulate my barrel too for noise...  um I mean to keep my barrel nice and warm.  LOL...  we dont want it to catch a cold.LOL

Good review man, good review.  Did you get home and fire some ronds in warmer weather?  Take it out and shoot some old paint, see what it does.

Veritas + Aequitas
Joker View Drop Down
COBRA
COBRA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2009 at 3:30pm
Originally posted by Assassin Assassin wrote:

Originally posted by Joker Joker wrote:

Ohh is that what we are calling those to get around the ATF these days...  I need to insulate my barrel too for noise...  um I mean to keep my barrel nice and warm.  LOL...  we dont want it to catch a cold.LOL

Good review man, good review.  Did you get home and fire some ronds in warmer weather?  Take it out and shoot some old paint, see what it does.

I did and I broke some in the cyclone. I am going to reset the electronics and see if that makes a difference. I think I may have hosed the dwell or something when I was trying to change the ROF.

It's all clean and the weather is a load warmer and I still have some game paint.  I'll let you know what happens. :)

Joker View Drop Down
COBRA
COBRA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2009 at 6:16pm
I reset the g*n electronics this evening and filled the hopper. I was able to rapid fire the whole hopper without a single break Each shot was pretty accurate too.

I am still happy with it.  It looks real nice with the UM36 stock on it.  :)

GRINDER View Drop Down
COBRA
COBRA
Casual observer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GRINDER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2009 at 7:11pm
It looks very cool. You didn't waste any time modding it. This is my latest:

Edited by GRINDER - 08 Jan 2010 at 10:13pm
Greyskull View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
"MILKSHAKE"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyskull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2009 at 8:43am
Het Grinder?  Is the Shroud the only reason the Phenom is shorter then the X7 ?  Can the X7 shroud fit on the phenom?

Veritas + Aequitas
Greyskull View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
"MILKSHAKE"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyskull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2009 at 8:45am
Does the TechT cyclone upgrades work with the Phnom?

Veritas + Aequitas
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic