Cobra Scenario Paintball Team Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Paintball Forums (Public) > PAINTBALL EQUIPMENT AND MAINTENANCE
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What alignment for a 4x pod holder?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
COBRA
COBRA
Pass the Dutch-E

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What alignment for a 4x pod holder?
    Posted: 12 Mar 2013 at 3:23pm
I have my OD green vest coming in the mail, but I don't have any pod holders for it yet. Based on my experience so far with scenario games, I'm thinking I'll need a 4x pod holder, and I plan to keep it on my back. Keeping pods on the front seems like they would be in the way of my marker.

So my question is, does anyone have any opinions on horizontal or vertical alignment? Horizontal is what I use now, minus the space for a tank between the pods. It tends to snag on stuff, but is easy to access. Vertical looks more compact and less obtrusive, but harder to reach.

Horizontal

Vertical

Losing his train of thought since 1974
Shmo View Drop Down
COBRA
COBRA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2013 at 9:44pm
My vote would be vertical. It's more compact and I never have trouble reaching even though I rock with 6. I also like them on my back which keeps them out of the way and lets me belly crawl. I would suggest going with 6 instead of 4. It all depends on how long you want to stay on the field without getting more paint. It also depends on how many rounds your marker can fire without getting more air. My Crossover will handle almost 6 pods plus a full hopper on one fill of my 68/45 HPA tank. I know everyone won't agree with this but in scenario ball slinging paint gets you dominance and dominance gets the win.
Superman View Drop Down
COBRA
COBRA
Spoonmaster!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Superman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2013 at 10:59pm
I rock 4 in the front and 3 on the back.  I think everyone have pods on the front.. I dont think anyone have had issues with using their marker cause of front pods
United we stand divided we fall. They can shoot one of us. But they can’t take us all.
Dutch View Drop Down
COBRA
COBRA
Pass the Dutch-E

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2013 at 11:10pm
Yeah, it sounds like horizontal is out. Shmo, do you have a 6x or two 3x? I don't know if I have air for six pods - A5's aren't known for their efficiency (although the RVA should help a little), and I have an RT. I'll need to test.

Superman, I think keeping the option to belly crawl will keep them off my front, but I'll try it out and see what I think.

Thanks for the replies.

Crucible View Drop Down
COBRA
COBRA
Coyote's sidekick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crucible Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2013 at 7:44am
I prefer a front load so my head is up and on a swivel.
Having said that, if I did use back pods I would probably go vertical.
Back patch, air tank w/ remote and a quad pouch. I would look at getting larger pods but they may not fit your pouches. The Pinocchio Pod holds 180 and usually matches the capacity of the hopper fir the dye rotor. Also, I would consider going OD on the vest and all pouches. If you were really worried about a slug fest I would consider going with a larger hopper, RAP4 sells a 400 ball hopper and maybe some drop leg pouches for extra pods. However, it does not make any sense to drag more balls than you have air.
"Nuts!" - General Anthony Clement McAuliffe

Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity. - George S. Patton
Shmo View Drop Down
COBRA
COBRA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2013 at 7:49am
I've got an old Spec Ops vest that looks like this on the back.

You're right about the A5, it's an air hog and you'll only need 4 pods per fill. If you ever go with something like a Crossover you can always add a couple of pods.
GRINDER View Drop Down
COBRA
COBRA
Casual observer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GRINDER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2013 at 8:30am
I agree with vertical. We need to keep the team as unified-looking as possible since we don't wear jerseys. The vest needs to be OD green. Do they have the same pods in OD green?

Edited by GRINDER - 13 Mar 2013 at 8:31am
Dutch View Drop Down
COBRA
COBRA
Pass the Dutch-E

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2013 at 8:57am
I'm certain I can find a 4x in OD green. Will do.
signpimp View Drop Down
COBRA
COBRA
"LUNCHMEAT"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote signpimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2013 at 3:02pm
I use the full clip pod holders.  They come in 2x and are for molle application.  Holds the Dye lock lids just perfect and one pod fills my rotor. 

Also, Dutch, once you make the team - you will want to get a Crossover or Phenom and keep the A5 for backup.  I can get between 5 and 6 pods through a tank with my Phenom.

Edited by signpimp - 13 Mar 2013 at 3:02pm
"Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there." --Will Rogers
Crucible View Drop Down
COBRA
COBRA
Coyote's sidekick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crucible Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2013 at 3:17pm
What size tank are you using?
"Nuts!" - General Anthony Clement McAuliffe

Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity. - George S. Patton
Dutch View Drop Down
COBRA
COBRA
Pass the Dutch-E

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2013 at 3:35pm
Crucible: I usually use a 45k/68ci carbon fiber, but the regulator on that punked out on me as I was filling it on the first day of Triple Threat. So, both games I've played with COBRA I've used my backup 3k/48 ci aluminum tank.

Signpimp: What's wrong with my A5? I mean, just because it tends to shoot the barrel out once or twice per day is that really a reason to abandon it? Wink

I know you guys rock the Crossover, but I still want to see if I can get my A5 to perform a little better before moving on from it. I'm a Luddite and want to avoid electros or hybrids if at all possible.
Superman View Drop Down
COBRA
COBRA
Spoonmaster!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Superman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2013 at 7:00pm
ONCE OR TWICE PER DAY?????  I have a video of your barrel flying out 3 times within a 15 min period when clearing out mustang..  lol

United we stand divided we fall. They can shoot one of us. But they can’t take us all.
Dutch View Drop Down
COBRA
COBRA
Pass the Dutch-E

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2013 at 9:04pm
Originally posted by Superman Superman wrote:

ONCE OR TWICE PER DAY?????  I have a video of your barrel flying out 3 times within a 15 min period when clearing out mustang..  lol

Even my barrel is eager to charge opponents.
116thRSF View Drop Down
Private
Private

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 116thRSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2013 at 1:23am
Full Clip USA Pouches are some of the best and most durable pouches designed for paintball. Unfortunately they have stopped making the 2x pod pouches because of cost issues. They still offer single pod pouches and pod "extenders" which are like the elastic pod holders on most harnesses. Links are provided below on some of the different Full Clip pouches. I have a order coming in that I will do a separate review on for yall.

OD Green Single Pod Pouch

OD Green Single Pod Extender

Edited by 116thRSF - 14 Mar 2013 at 1:24am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic